Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday #10: Top Ten Things I Want to Do at Book Expo America


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish

It's been a long time since I did a Top Ten list, but this week's topic is a freebie and so I thought I would do the top ten things I want to do at my third BEA:

1- Have fun and learn something new at the Book Blogger Conference

2- Meet Elizabeth Wein, who wrote one of my all time favorite WWII books Code Name Verity and who will be signing ARCs of her new book Rose Under Fire.

3- Attend at least one BEA Conference, preferably Jenny Brown's The Journey of a YA Book - from Writer to Reader with author Sarah Farizan.

4- Take the time to sit and enjoy some of the Uptown and Downtown Stages this year.  I did that my first year and really enjoyed them, but didn't last year and was very sorry.  They are interesting and informative, and a good place to sit and relax, away from all the hustle and bustle of the exhibit floor while listening to favorite authors.

5- Try and get to the Children's Book and Author Breakfast on time this year.  I am so excited to see/hear Octavia Spencer, a favorite actress, talk about her book, as well as Veronica Roth (I really can't wait to read Allegiant, the third book in the Divergent series)

6- There's a Book Blogger Picnic in Central Park on Friday, May 31st from 6:00PM to 8:00PM on the lawns near the Heckscher Playground at the southwest corner for anyone who wants to go, you can find more information from the organizers: Alexa (Alexa Loves Books), Andrea (Overstuffed Bookcase), Jen (YA Romantics) and Katelyn (Kate's Tales of Books and Bands) or follow hashtag #BEABloggerPicnic

7- If I didn't live in NYC, I would be sure to do some sightseeing, or at least buy some cheap theater tickets at TKTS in the heart of Times Square.  You probably won't find any for Matilda, but shows like Annie (Jane Lynch is in it now) or Pippin are good possibilities.

8- NYC is a culinary delight - I know eating can be expensive, but stay away from McDonald's and other chain restaurants.   Joe Allen's at 326 West 46th Street is one of my favorite theater district restaurants (and I have sat near more than one famous person there).  If you are feeling a little bit in the money, I would recommend Todd English's Food Hall at The Plaza Hotel.  It is a food hall like no other.  But, for ecomony, there is always Junior's on West 45th between Broadway and 8th Avenue (be sure to have their world famous cheesecake) or the Cafe Edison in the Hotel Edison at 228 West 47th Street (I'm partial to the pastrami)  And do enjoy an NYC bagle (the difference really is in the water) and the many street food vendors or  the food trucks that are everywhere.

9- As long as you are feeling bookish, take a walk over the the NYPL at 42nd Street and Fifth Avenue, sign of one the docent led tours of the library, then take a walk down library way East 41st Street between 5th and Madison Avenues) and look at the book quote plaques that are embedded in the cement.  You can also see a slide show of the plaques at the New York Public Library

10- The thing I am really looking forward to, however, is seeing old friends and meeting new ones.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you have a great time! See you next year, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a fabulous time! The BEA sounds like so much fun and I think it is great that you have a plan! Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete